Originally compiled by Rossy Mendez in 2014, revised by SAA leadership in 2021. Last updated 08/02/21.
There are many, many more resources and this is by no means an exhaustive list but it contains the most popular sites used by employers to post jobs. While this is focused on archival positions it may also be useful for the field of library and information science in general.
Archives Specific – National
- Job site features searchable database. Provides a good deal of positions especially academic. Has service to post resume for employers to view. Also has links to other job related resources.
- Blog updated almost daily. Blog has tag cloud with relevant job tags, allows you to search specific states via tagged content.
- Updated frequently, lists archival positions internationally (mostly in Europe), is tagged by country as well as by institution type and job description.
- Lists many positions, apprenticeships and internships for the agency. Positions can be either in NYC, DC or other NARA offices.
Archives Specific – Local
- Lists current openings nationally and sometimes international. Also lists internships, part-time and contract positions. Not tagged or have searchable content. Updated frequently and is pretty good about deleting old postings.
Library/Information Related – National
- This site is the official job list for the American Library Association, it is particularly good for academic and public library positions. They occasionally post archives or archives-hybrid jobs. They also have RSS feeds, e-mail relevant search results and allow resume upload. Also of interest is their twitter.
- Popular website featuring job listings of all fields related to library and information science as well as career advice in form of blogs. Each state has a separate page for its job postings. Job pages also contain other relevant local/national resources. Updated daily. Must check often as job are only kept up for a number of weeks before being deleted. Also of interest is the LinkedIn group and Twitter feeds for separate states.
- This site features a keyword search and a full list of positions related to record management. A number of positions that incorporate archives and record management are posted. Also allows for posting of resumes.
- Full searchable database of job listings in special libraries such as academic, archives and government. Usually posts a good number of archival positions. Also provides ability to post resume and to review relevant resources.
- Full searchable database of jobs related to technology. This is worth checking for digital archives positions. Can post resume for potential employers.
- Full searchable job database in library and information fields. Provides a number of blogs that have career advice.
- Searchable database. Has very limited postings in the library industry. Particularly strong in academic libraries. Is updated somewhat frequently.
- Lists mostly coding related jobs in library and archives. A good place to look if you are interested in a position dealing with digital archives or UX.
- Provides links to jobs most technology related in library and relevant fields. Jobs are posted weekly by region. New jobs are also highlighted.
- Searchable database of jobs in library and information science. Nice feature is it tells you when job was posted. Does not usually post archives jobs but it it’s a hybrid job or special collections there is a good chance it is posted.
- User can look up results by job title and location. Often posts archival positions located within academic settings.
Library/Information Related – Local
- The New York chapter of the Special Library Association. This blog posts available positions by date. Also has a LinkedIn group. Tag cloud provides visualization of common jobs.
- Website offers database with a variety of jobs in libraries but also archives in the tri-state area. Ability to post resume if you are a member.
- Posts recent library jobs in law, focuses on library positions and not archives but might be worth checking for hybrid positions. Does not have a comprehensive searchable database.
- The library has posted a number of archival positions and often offers archival internships. The website provides a database where a user can look by branch, position or conduct a general search. Updated when there is new postings.
General – National
- This is a good site to go for government positions will often list library/information related positions as well. Full searchable database and alerts.
- Has interesting jobs, can search by desired company size, location and type. Has posted archival jobs before but most of the jobs posted here are corporate or small non-profit institutions.
- Searchable database, posts information friendly jobs, most archival positions posted related to academic archives. Allow for posting of resume with account.
- Web crawler, searches the web for positions related to keyword and parameters entered. Can post resume for employers to view as well as set up alerts when jobs matching certain keywords are entered.
- Lists non-profit positions only, known to sometimes list positions in public libraries. Can post resume on website. Search options include location, job type and experience.
- This website is specifically for museum jobs and not libraries or archives but certain collection management jobs can sometimes have archival duties therefore this site might be interesting if you want to go into museum libraries. It is also easy to set up a tailored job alert through their site.
Simmons College Job Postings
–http://simmons.edu/gslis/for/current/careers/jobline/ Posts jobs throughout the nation. Can search by tag or type of position. Date position is posted is noted which is helpful if knowing the job posting is old.
San Jose State University
– http://slisweb.sjsu.edu/career-development/job-search/job-listing-sites-and-resources Nice list of resources, organizations and general job sites.
– http://www.lyrasis.org/job/Pages/default.aspx Library partner for building digital content. Posts positions dealing with digital archives. Listed by date
Higher Ed Jobs
General – Local
NYFA (New York Federation of Arts)
– https://www.nyfa.org/ Lists different types of positions and internships within the arts. It has been known to feature archival jobs as well. Can sort results by date; job type etc. as well as a general searchable database.
– http://www1.nyc.gov/jobs/index.page The city has been known to post several jobs in archives and records management but these jobs are sometimes tagged as information manager or records management, essentially these are hybrid positions.
State of New Jersey
New Jersey Library Association-
MARAC (Mid Atlantic Regional Archives Conference)
– http://www.marac.info/job-opportunities Several job opportunities throughout the nation listed by state and listed by most recent.
New York State Libraries
Library Related Staff Agencies
TRAK Records and Library
– SILS Listserv
IFLA- International Federal of Library Associations and Institutions
Federal Government Jobs
American Association of Moving Image Archivists-http://www.amianet.org/
Capitol Area Archivists- http://library.albany.edu/speccoll/caa/Membership/index.htm
Association for recorded sound collections- http://www.arsc-audio.org/index.php
Archivists and Librarians in the History of Health Sciences- http://www.alhhs.org/
National Organization of Government Archives and Record Administratorshttp://www.nagara.org/
RBML (Rare Books and Manuscripts Section)- http://www.rbms.info/
New England Archivists- http://www.newenglandarchivists.org/resources/jobs.html
Blogs/ Relevant Sites
Hiring Librarians- http://hiringlibrarians.com/tag/archives-jobs/
Open Cover Letters- http://opencoverletters.com/
Librarian Hire Fashion- http://librarianhirefashion.tumblr.com/
Hack Library School- http://hacklibschool.wordpress.com/
Archives Next- http://www.archivesnext.com/